Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Tail (spelling intended lol!!) of Two Sarah's

Day 5 of new strategy and things are going very well. Tonight’s music selection was the tail (spelling intended!!) of two Sarah’s, McLachlan and Brightman. Renegade will maintain gait and direction at the walk and trot until I ask him in so we can do 6-8 laps. I did have to send his zone one back to the rail twice as he was trying to cut across one side to shorten the lap lol!! We’re still at one lap in each direction at the canter trying to be consistent and as light as possible, once it’s pretty good we’ll move up to more laps. Also played with transitions between walk and trot and it’s getting better, Renegade at first tried to push through my cues to slow down but I upped my phases and he really started to catch on quickly; I was getting really nice upward transitions and downward transitions started to get lighter. Just hoping I don’t screw up my progress with the circling game by doing transitions!! I’m just trying to keep it interesting for my little LBE!!


Played at liberty leading by the ear and it’s getting softer, lead by the tail all the way across the 70 rp and it was straight and soft!! STM was nice at walk, trot, and canter to the left, we (read me) need work on going to the right…I’m stiff and Renegade mirrors that!! I think I need to practice by myself to get unstiff.

During UDT, Renegade did ALOT of licking, chewing, and yawning and I tried to mirror him, especially during the yawning. He laid down again and this time he did it much quicker and stayed down a bit longer. After he got up, he stayed with me and ended up smelling my hair and licking my ear!! Made me giggle!!

3 comments:

Parelli Central said...

Wow, Kathy, I've read the last 12 (!:-) posts and all the wonderful stuff that's been happening...
How totally, absolute AWESOME is THAT!!!! Pat yourself on the back!!!!!!! :-)

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central

Anonymous said...

That's so great he has been laying down with you at the end of your sessions. Fantastic!!!!!

craigeagle23 said...

@fiesta831...thanks, I've lived for the day Renegade would feel comfortable enough to do this. He doesn't even do it in the pasture with the other horses!

@Petra...Thank you and thanks for reading!! We've had some really amazing stuff going on lately and I'm so hoping it's a new stage of our relationship about to blossom! All the hard work overcoming Renegade's complete distrust of people has now become worth every second, minute, hour, day, month, and year!! I'd love to pat myself on the back but I'll save the rubs for Renegade!!