Friday, September 16, 2011

Reflections and Introspections

I've been in a very introspective mood lately and have been taking a hard look at myself and what I can change to make my world a better place for me and my horse. The last couple of weeks at work have been exceptionally stressful and it's not just me, it's the whole office. Our company is going through a merger and everyone is on edge, even though they don't want to admit it, and it shows. Tempers are short and everyone is worried about whether they will have a job in the new, combined organization. Add to that, the fact this is our busy season, which is stressful in itself, and you have the perfect storm brewing and it doesn't take much to set everyone spinning.

One day last week was particularly stressful and I came home in tears and very upset. On top of that, being so stressed out, I was in no frame of mind to be with or play with my horses. I decided I needed to find a better way of dealing with my stress so that it can't or won't impact my life when I get home from work or my time with my horses.

After talking with a friend, not about specifics, because I didn't want to relive everything, but about how to change mindset and create positives out of negatives, I felt much better and ready to tackle anything! We had a great conversation and I came away with some wonderful strategies to use "in the moment"; to help me stop, take a breath, and think about what's happening in that moment and how I can turn it into a positive. I love that my friend said moments like these are teaching moments and I might want to ask myself the question "what is the lesson in this for me, what do I need to learn from this?". That one statement gave me a whole new perspective on looking on those moments in life that are less than desireable and that maybe they are put there for a reason; that just maybe there's a lesson I need to learn at that moment. I can make these moments positive or negative depending on how I view and respond to them. If I just react in a reflexive sort of way, then it can be a negative experience because there's no conscious thought behind my reaction, but if I view it as a teaching moment and take charge of myself and the situation, I can see the value in what just happened and learn from it. I see this strategy as extremely empowering!!

I've decided that along with my new strategies, I am also adopting a new motto: "Life is wonderful, Everything is as is should be, and I'm living the dream". This is my version of the Serenity Prayer and gives me the mind set that life really is a grand and wonderful thing no matter what happens, everything happens for a reason; it's neither good or bad...it just is what it is, and everything I do is taking me one step closer to my dream. That dream is what I choose to make it and since it's my dream and I have a choice, I choose to make it a wonderful, positive experience and let the rest go!!

2 comments:

December said...

Darn, I wrote a comment on this wonderful blog, but then didn't manage to get it posted!

Just wanted to let you know how much it means to me that you shared these thoughts. Going through a similar bad time and it is inspiring to read your reflections. Thanks for making me feel a little less alone in my little "teaching moments."

craigeagle23 said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to post your original comment :-( Technology can be wonderful when it works but not so much when we lose a post to cyberspace!!

Thank you for your kind comments December. I'm humbled that my post was inspiring to you but glad it touched you. I'm so blessed to have some very wise friends to bounce things off of, it helps me keep myself straight!! Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without them...they are a wonderful support system!!