Friday, September 11, 2009

Update After an Absence!!

I haven't been posting much lately since I've been busy with school, work, playing in L3, playdays, etc.

I've been making a conscious effort to use my 45' line when playing since it's the only way I'm going to get comfortable and efficient with it and so far, so good!! Of course we're not using ALL the 45' yet but that will come with time.

The Ocala Parelli Players group has been great, having a new challenge every two weeks to keep us motivated and progressing over the summer. Some of the challenges have been really creative but designed so they can be done at any level.

I have been playing at liberty with Renegade trying to get him to stick with me at the canter. Well, first I just had to get him to canter and it took a bit of trying. My neighbors probably thought I was crazy, running around the pasture like that!! I was starting to think that by the time Renegade got it figured out, I would be ready to run a marathon!! Thankfully though, he caught on (finally LOL!!) and cantered when I did but then he thought the race was on and he definitely beat me!!! After a couple of repeats of this I got him cantering with me again then I suddenly put on the brakes and stopped. He went a few more canter strides and I swear, I could see the light bulb go off in his head! He realized I wasn't with him and he did a sliding stop and turned around to look for me!!! Whoopeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I need to work on getting him to stay with me and slow it down a bit but that will come with time.

The key to playing with Renegade is just that, I have to PLAY. If I do too many repetitions or try for too much refinement at one time, he just gets cranky and mad - he'll actually stamp his foot!! If I make it play and keep it interesting he'll stay engaged for a long time. I love this horse and his huge play drive, I just need to get better at directing it or putting it to purpose. Something to play with through L3.

Well, I've got to go for now. I've got an early day tomorrow then a busy weekend with errands and housework Saturday and a PLAYDAY on Sunday!!!

No comments: