Thursday, October 7, 2010

Improving The Draw

When playing at liberty with Renegade and trying to draw him off the rail to change direction, we've has success when he's traveling to the right but when traveling to the left, his nose is tipped out, he's hesitant to give me both eyes (especially his right eye), he will turn in towards the rail and away from me, and blow through all my cues. I have been thinking on how to approach this to "help" him find the right answer easier and sooner and drawing blanks so I asked people in my support network (friends and a Parelli Professional) and they came through for me!!

To my support network I say, thank you, thank you, thank you!! I tried a combination of the 45′ around Renegade’s neck and stepping towards his hq to get that draw better when going to the left and IT WORKED!!!! I got several really nice draws. Renegade gave me two eyes and I drew him all the way in to me several times to let him know this is what I wanted. After several draws, I tried a couple of COD’s in both directions and they were great!! I kept everything slow for the draws and COD’s so as not to cause any brace and encourage softness. I also paid particular attention to MY body language to be sure I was clear in what I was asking. When we finished, Renegade was softer and more confident in giving me his right eye; I'm very pleased with tonight's session. Six more days of this and it hopefully will be going well!!


Also, with the 45 still on his neck, I got a few nice canter circles with an obstacle (barrel).

2 comments:

Parelli Central said...

Isn't it a wonderful feeling when things just fall into place? Very cool....

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central

craigeagle23 said...

Hi Petra! Yes, it's wonderful but I'm thinking there was alot of preparation leading up to this change. Adding the 45' line around his neck and stepping towards the hq was the "missing piece" to helping him "get it" and me to be clearer!!