Sunday, August 14, 2011

FUN AND SUPRISES!!

Went to the Trail Partners Playoffs, hosted by Parelli Professionals Karen Woodbury and Annie Shank. The event was held at Peninsula Farms in Ocala under their covered arena. I was grateful for the cover as it was really hot and humid yesterday and the shade from the arena kept everything about 15-20 degrees cooler.

There were 52 participants and Karen and Annie had some obstacles set up for us to navigate both online and mounted. They also had some nice goody bags for each of the participants and prizes and ribbons for both the online, mounted, who came the farthest, the partnership with the highest score (adding owners age and horses age together), and the person who put the relationship first to help their unconfident horse over the course.

Renegade and I didn't win any prizes but my focus for the entire challenge was to see if I could have his attention, obedience, and confidence at an event like this. We had a faux paux at the squeeze over a jump as Renegade only went half way over then started sidepassing off. I decided to accept it and say thank you but now would you please jump? He did but we ran out of time to try the last obstacle which was trailer loading. I tried it anyway and Renegade went in but it didn't count towards our score since we were out of time. I don't care that we didn't win any prizes or ribbons, but I am really happy that he tried everything and even offered some extra stuff.

Now, I just need to work on me to make sure I'm being VERY clear on what I'm asking for and get the response I'm looking for but overall, I'm pleased with the day!

3 comments:

yourpalsam said...

That sounded like a lot of fun! I only have two Parelli friends nearby, but it is something we can work on.

craigeagle23 said...

Hi Sam! It was a fun day, lots of laughing, lots of horsemanship and savvy, and catching up with friends I hadn't seen for a while. It was just the thing to break up the long, hot summer and get me thinking about plans for things to do when the weather cools down a bit. I'm looking forward to some clinics, workshops, maybe some lessons, definitely some play days, and most certainly at least a couple of camping trips!!

craigeagle23 said...

Sam...I forgot to add...you really need to make it down this way some time. There's so much to do...so little time!!