Friday, September 5, 2008

Bareback and Sideways

Played with Renegade last night and had a blast. We played on the 22' line keeping slack in the line. Played with change of gait (up and down transitions) and direction - getting much better at this. We are better going to the left - need to do more to the right. Played put your nose on this and that, put your foot on this or that - Renegade loves this game. And...he really likes when he puts his foot/feet up on something and I massage his leg!! He gets very soft :-)!!

After playing online for about 20 minutes I put the bareback pad on him and sat up on the corral panel. Renegade lined up next to the panel so I could get on. Lateral flexion and hq disengage was excellent and very light. Walked and trotted around the pen, over the cavalletti, between upright barrels, figure 8's, push the ball - all using focus. We are getting much better at this. Renegade is starting to get light and needing minimal corrections!!!

I need more practice bareback but am getting better at keeping my seat. Hope Renegade can tolerate my practicing. He really has been pretty patient with my inept fumblings at times.

Tonight played at liberty in the pasture. Played stick to me - went well, I had to play catch me twice but he came right to me at the trot!! We played with trying to get him to canter with me but didn't get it yet - we'll keep trying!! We played sideways with a fence and tried speeding it up some - I think Renegade liked it, he did great and when we stopped he nickered while I laughed!! We were almost at a trot.

We also experimented with circling at liberty and we did great but he wants to be in close to me when circling. We'll need to play with expanding the distance after he's very confident being in close.

Can't wait for the weather to cool down so we can do a little more. It's been too hot to ask for alot at higher gaits. Soon...

Gotta go for tonight,

Kathy

No comments: