Saturday, September 13, 2008

Blow Off's to Bareback and Bridleless!!

O.K. - here goes - the Renegade story for the night. I went to the pasture gate and he totally blew me off He was more interested in the mini's in the pasture next door. America, Li"Bert"y and Captain met me at the gate so I entered and greeted them. Played with them a little. Bert and I played put your nose on this and that (@liberty!!) and he did great. Captain did the beginnings of sideways over a pole - we got a couple of steps and he was really asking questions with "pretty" ears. Whatta Boy!! America and I played put your foot on this and that. She did great and likes to think her way through puzzles.

Now for the Renegade part of the story...he finally got interested in what I was doing and nickered and came over to me. I asked him out of the pasture and we moseyed to the round pen and then he decided to leave me (he was at liberty). I went in the round pen and put some cookies on stuff (barrels, cavaletti, mounting block, ball, cone, etc.) and then sat down and waited. I had both gates to the pen open and he chose to come in through the car wash (whoooopeeee)! He caught on quickly to the put your nose on this and made his rounds in rapid fashion - he wasn't even waiting for me. As soon as he inhaled all the cookies he was out the gate again. I went and sat down again and he eventually (after about 5 minutes) came back in the play pen. We played a little at liberty. He did some nice circles at trot and canter and we did some changes of direction. He jumped the barrels at liberty without me asking (they were obstacles on the circle). A couple of the young pigs came into the play pen and Renegade herded them out. Anybody ever heard of pig cutting He was asking lots of questions and giving me two eyes more often than he EVER has. I rewarded that by asking him in EVERY time. After a few times, he was trotting in to me and I was loving it. He seemed VERY agreeable at this point so....drum roll please...I tied the savvy string around his neck and I climbed up on the rail and he sidled over to me so I could get on!!! I did and we went about half way around the play pen and I asked him to stop. It took a little driving of his nose and a little pull on the ss for him to stop but he did!!! I got off and played alot of friendly. Then we tried again. I got up on the rail, he offered himself to me and I got on. We went round about half way again and this time he stopped when I quit riding and breathed out. Yeeeeeehawwww!!! Our first bb and bridleless ride and neither one of us got RB. What fun!!!

No comments: